Understanding Current and Future P – Index Issues in the Heartland Region
February 9-10, 2011 - Nebraska City, NE
The Heartland Water Quality Coordination
Initiative's Nutrient Management (NM) and Animal Manure Management (AMM) Teams co-hosted a P-Index Roundtable
at the Lied Lodge and Conference Center, located at the
Arbor Day Farm in Nebraska City, NE. This roundtable was
held February 9-10, 2011.
The GOAL of the roundtable was to define opportunities for regional cooperation in assessing current P indices and develop next generation P indices. The roundtable agenda and presentations are listed below.
Workshop Speakers and Presentations...
Day 1, February 9
SERA-17 Review of the 590 standard: What did they say?- Andrew Sharpley, University of Arkansas
Iowa P-Index – Antonio Mallarino, Iowa State University
Nebraska P-Index – Charles Wortman, University of Nebraska
Missouri P-Index – John Lory, University of Missouri
Kansas P-Index – Nathan Nelson, Kansas State University
Options for assessing current P-Indices
Modeling Options for Assessing P Indices - Carl Bolster, USDA-ARS, Bowling Green, KY
Discussion: Opportunities for cooperation on assessing P indices
- What are the needs in our region for assessing current P indices?
- Which modeling approaches are appropriate for our region?
- What are some of the strongest assets in the region for assessing P indices?
- Are there options for regional cooperation for assessing current P indices?
Day 2, February 10
Review of edge-of-field water quality research in the region: can we use it for P index validation – Mark Tomer, USDA-ARS, Ames, IA
Objectives of next generation of P - Indexes - John Lory and Nathan Nelson
Discussion: What is the role of the P index in Region 7
- When should it be used?
- Are our interpretations of ratings appropriate?
- Are there options for more uniformity in rating systems among states.
Discussion: Opportunities for cooperation on developing next generation P index
- Should we be moving to a regional index model?
- What approaches should be considered in next generation P index?
- What are some of our strongest assets in the region for developing next generation P indices?
Discussion: Options for moving forward
- Funding options for regional cooperation?
- What is a good next step?