The Department of Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S) is conducting inspections of laboratories, shops, studios and other areas that use hazardous materials and may have hazardous waste. These inspections are being conducted to evaluate, note discrepancies, and to assist you in improving your hazardous waste, hazardous materials and general safety programs. The inspections are being performed by EH&S personnel, who will have an EH&S badge, and they will be looking at the following areas:
- Open containers (materials and waste)
- Missing date (full hazardous waste containers must be dated when full )
- Lack of hazardous waste label (hazardous waste containers must have the words “hazardous waste” on the container – use the free label from EH&S)
- Unidentified contents (all containers of material and waste must be labeled, even water; contents of hazardous waste containers must be written on the hazardous waste label)
- Container contents must be identified using words; acronyms, abbreviations and chemical formulas are not allowed.
- Multiple containers of the same hazardous waste stream (only one container of each type of hazardous waste is allowed)
- Other items such as medical waste and laboratory safety.
After the inspections, the Department Head and EH&S Committee Chair for that department will receive a letter regarding the inspections and the findings.
If you have any questions regarding these inspections please contact:
For additional information visit the K-State Environmental Health & Safety Website.