Yield: 8 servings
This recipe is a delicious way to add more vegetables and omega-3 fatty acids to your diet. You get the nutritional value of the carrots plus LNA from both the canola oil and the flaxseeds.
3/4 cup canola oil
2 eggs, or 1 egg and 2 whites
1 cup sugar
1 1/3 cups white or whole-wheat pastry flour (unsifted)
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tbsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 cups grated carrots
1/2 cup ground flaxseeds (or 1/2 cup chopped walnuts)
1/2 cup raisins
1 tsp. orange peel or orange zest
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Beat oil, eggs and sugar in a mixer (or by hand) until creamy.
3. Mix dry ingredients in a separate bowl and add to the egg mixture.
4. Beat for an additional minute.
5. Add remaining ingredients and stir until combined.
6. Spoon batter into a lightly greased 8 -by-10-inch baking pan and bake for 30-40 minutes or
until done. (The cake is done when you touch it lightly in the center and it springs back.)
Recipe from The Omega Diet, Artemis P. Simopoulos, M.D. and Jo Robinson, HarperCollins