To: Epsilon Sigma Phi Members
In 2008 the national Epsilon Sigma Phi organization developed a definition of an extension professional.
K-State Research and Extension provides a framed copy of this definition to new extension agents when they come to orientation. We encourage them to place it on their desk where they will see it frequently. (If you would like a copy ready for framing let me know and I’ll get it to you).
I find this definition worthy of reviewing occasionally as a reminder of the skills and competencies that we are striving to reach:
I’m sharing half of the definition this month and will have the other half in next month’s message.
An Extension Professional:
• Is trained, experienced, and knowledgeable
• Is culturally competent and demonstrates the ability to work with diverse audiences in a variety of settings
• Exhibits excellent oral and written communication skills
• Manages, networks, and collaborates to build alliances and partnerships
• Adheres to high standards of personal and professional ethics
• Demonstrates ability to work independently and is self-directed
• Is an effective team member
• Uses informational and educational technology to accomplish goals
• Teaches in formal and informal settings as appropriate
ESP – Alpha Rho Chapter President
• Epsilon Sigma Phi (ESP) is dedicated to fostering standards of excellence in the Extension System and developing the Extension profession and professional.
Benefits of membership:
• Opportunities in professional and personal development, leadership, and networking;
• The interdisciplinary nature of the organization;
• ESP is the one organization that includes all Extension professionals.