Extension Human Nutrition
Older Adults

You can find the answer to many of the questions you might have regarding different food assistance programs for older adults by going to the following web addresses:

Kansas Food Assistance Program Overview.

Kansas Food Assistance Program Brochures and inserts in English and Spanish.

Kansas Department for Aging and Disability Services-- Find out about your local senior center, or answers about issues facing seniors, or how to get older Americans Act meals (congregate/home delivered) for senior adults.

Kansas Department for Children and Families has information about the Kansas Food Assistance Program eligibility requirements and an application for services. Other services include the food commodity program, medical assistance, and more.

Posters-- Monthly nutrition and health messages along with information about the Kansas Food Assistance Program. From K-State Research and Extension, Department of Human Nutrition.

Calculator to find out if you might be eligible for food assistance--The USDA's tool helps you find out how much you might be eligible to receive. Then apply to participate in the program. Available in English and Spanish.

National Food Assistance Program Information-- Questions and Answers, Pamphlets in English and Spanish.

Food Assistance Program Briefs-- Many news briefs about the Food Assistance Program.  From USDA stating the criteria for receiving Food Assistance benefits.

Food Assistance for the Elderly Resource Center- Several reports that provide information on how to better connect older people with the Food Assistance Program. From the Food Research and Action Center (FRAC).

If you need more information about Food Assistance for older adults, contact Dr. Mary Meck Higgins, Associate Professor and Extension Specialist, 202 Justin Hall, Manhattan, KS  66506, email: mhiggins@ksu.edu  Phone: (785) 532-1671.